South Bay Rehabilitation
Rebuilding Lives, Restoring Hope
Download The Rehabilitation Resource List (PDF - 128Kb)
last updated: January 2006
Through our actions and our words, we are committed to:
- High-quality, personalized care
- Provided in a comfortable, family-like setting
- With kind regard given to our patients' way of life, language and spirituality
- Using all available services to help our patients attain the highest level of function in the home and community
South Bay Rehabilitation Center, San Diego's highly accredited rehabilitation facility, offers a complete range of treatment for patients with physical disabilities. Our specialized inpatient and outpatient programs are designed to meet each person's individual needs or injuries, with the goal of restoring as much independence as possible and significantly improving their lives.
Committed to You in Actions and Words
When it comes to rebuilding lives and restoring hope to patients and families, we live by our Mission Statement: "South Bay Rehabilitation Center is a group of dedicated professionals who strive, through innovation and continual learning, to meet the current and future rehabilitation needs of our community."
In our 22-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit, we treat the following diagnoses:
- Orthopedic conditions
- Neurological conditions
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain dysfunction
- Spinal cord dysfunction
- Pain syndromes
- Congenital deformities and other conditions
What Makes Us Special
Because South Bay Rehabilitation Center is based at Paradise Valley Hospital, we can handle virtually any type of medical problem on-site. Patients do not have to be transferred elsewhere should the need arise for acute medical care.
The Family as Partner
We believe the family is an essential partner in restoring health and hope. Families are encouraged to participate in therapy, attend conferences, and visit regularly. The patient's determination and the support of family and friends all contribute to the recovery process.
A Team Approach
Our patients receive treatment by medical professionals who have been highly trained and are licensed or certified in their field. We're proud to be recognized for the comprehensive, high-quality care we provide.
Led by a skilled physiatrist (a medical doctor specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation), the team includes these professionals:
- Rehabilitation Nurse
- Physical Therapist/Assistant
- Occupational Therapist/Assistant
- Speech-Language Pathologist
- Recreational Therapist
- Social Worker
- Respiratory Therapist/Assistant
Members of this team are with the patient every step of the way-from preadmission through treatment and finally discharge to home. Also, rehabilitation psychologists are available to help patients and their families cope with the stress of a major illness or injury. We recognize that difficult conditions affect the whole family and often lead to changed responsibilities and roles at home.
At over 25 years, we're proud of being the longest CARF-accredited rehabilitation facility in San Diego. Our accreditation by the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) makes us one of the few dual accredited Comprehensive Integrated Inpatient Rehabilitation facilities and stroke specialty centers in San Diego.
South Bay Rehabilitation Center is committed to offering the highest quality inpatient care. Our Neuro-Development Treatment (NDT) approach, for example, is used to provide care to patients needing assistance with functional tasks. We are one of only a few centers in San Diego emphasizing this approach. We offer a variety of specialized services, including cognitive-behavioral rehabilitation, swallow rehabilitation, treatment for bowel and bladder disorders and a skin management program.
South Bay Rehabilitation Center offers comprehensive outpatient treatment for musculoskeletal, spine, back, neck, and hand injuries in a beautiful pavilion on the campus of Paradise Valley Hospital. Our primary services include:
- Physical Therapy-hands-on treatment for orthopedic, industrial, and sports injuries.
- Occupational Therapy-speeding a return to daily activities and productive employment, and providing specialized hand rehabilitation.
- Speech Pathology-treating speech difficulties, swallowing disorders, and problems with cognitive (thinking) skills.
Our skilled multidisciplinary staff is dedicated to providing care that meets each patient's unique condition and goals. We maintain contact with the patient's referring physician and continually assess and revise treatment as necessary. The patient also receives education so that he or she can continue the recovery process at home.
Ongoing Therapy – Continuing Care
Our goal is to return patients to their homes. Occasionally ongoing medical care is required. In these instances, we help arrange for therapy or nursing staff members to help provide this kind of care. Another vital part of recovery involves interacting with others who have similar physical challenges. Our rehabilitation team provides information and referral to a wide range of community programs-including the Stroke Club, Meals on Wheels, Senior Day Care Center, Fitness Clinic for the Physically Disabled, and Vocational Rehabilitation.
For More Information
For further information regarding your personal insurance coverage, please call the Admissions Office at Paradise Valley Hospital: 619.470.4208.
2400 East Fourth Street
National City, California 91950
Paradise Valley Hospital: 619.470.4321
Referral Service: 619.470.4227
What our patients say about us:
- "Thank you for the beautiful treatment that you have given me. Thank you for your patience and love and affection. I love you all--keep doing what you are doing."
- "All the staff are friendly and approachable. We were treated like family there. I was made to feel comfortable enough to ask any question. From the doctors, nurses, CNAs, therapists, and all staff members, I really appreciate everything you did. Your services are exceptional, and I will recommend you to others."